Friday, October 9, 2015

Assistive Technology

In this blog I will be discussing several articles and you tube videos that I have been assigned to give my thoughts on for AEDU class 209.

I've had the blessing of working with students who use assistive technology in their everyday lives,  in the class room and attempting to assess.  Programs like proloquo2go and DynaVox

In the assigned video the app Proloquo2go was discussed.  The ability for this app to enrich a students life CAN NOT be overstated.  This app is very user friendly.  While I was assisting a student who transferred to the school I worked at I was able to take pictures of new staff and add them to her school folder.  While attempting to get to know her she was able to tell me about her old school, routine, family etc. using this app just like any other child her age.  She used her device to tell us if she was hurt, hungry, thirsty, in need of toileting.

After seeing first hand how life changing this app could be it will always be my recommendation to have this technology in the classroom and some time devoted to introducing it to non/low verbal students.  The success that are discussed in the videos for Sara and Lianna could be experienced by others.  Imagine a young lady able to attend college or a "boy crazy" little girl each only wanting to be able to have similar experiences as their peers.  No baby talk and know me for my music and future book are the requests.  They want to be known for more than their disability.

These apps and programs like them may take time to teach and learn.  They may also seem to have a high cost. However compared with the previous options they are more attainable and more user friendly.  I think they should be required in EVERY SPED classroom with non/low verbal students because the impact they make in a chills life are immeasurable!!!!  

Apps for Autism 
DynaVox
Lianna Speaks

No comments:

Post a Comment